Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Valley in San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Moreland School

 
 
State Historic Landmark 489 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
1. State Historic Landmark 489
Inscription.  Oldest known rural school district in California. Established 1851 as subscription school, meeting in private homes. First teacher, Charles Lafollette, 1851, term three months. Abraham H. Featherman, 1852, term six months. Through efforts of Samuel Curtis Rogers, third teacher, 1852-1854, first public school building, formerly home of Zechariah Moreland, obtained 1852. In 1853 Rogers secured organization of school as Santa Clara Township School District No. 2. Renamed in Moreland's honor, 1862.
 
Erected 1953 by California State Parks Commission, Moreland School District. (Marker Number 489.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationLandmarksNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 37° 18.054′ N, 121° 58.752′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. It is in West Valley. Marker is on Payne Avenue east of Saratoga
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4335 Payne Ave, San Jose CA 95117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gubserville (approx. 0.6 miles away); De Anza Expedition (approx. 1.6 miles away); The First Adobe Home in Campbell (approx. 1.6 miles away); Campbell Union High School (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Campbell Union High School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Campbell Union Grammar School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Campbell Union Grammar School, 1922-64 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Serafino Manfre House (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Regarding Moreland School. Today, nothing remains of the original school. The Original Moreland School building was in use until 1949, when the class sizes and age of the school became to large to effectively handle the student population and was closed. The original school bell was salvaged and now occupies space in front of the current Moreland School District office.
 
Moreland School State Historic Landmark image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
2. Moreland School State Historic Landmark
Moreland School Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tammy Grier, January 22, 2022
3. Moreland School Bell
The original school bell is now located at the entrance to the Moreland School District office in San Jose, California.
Moreland School image. Click for full size.
circa 1933
4. Moreland School
This photo of the Moreland School is courtesy of the Moreland School District website (www.moreland.org).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 2,032 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California.   3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2022, by Tammy Grier of San Jose, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2622

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024