Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waldron in Scott County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

1900-1960

City of Waldron Commercial Historic District

 
 
1900-1960 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
1. 1900-1960 Marker
Inscription.
Businesses flourished on Main Street after the turn of the century. In 1901 the Bank of Waldron and First National Bank both opened on South Main Street. By 1902 the Kansas City Southern Railroad went through Waldron, making it an important shipping location in Western Arkansas. Later in 1908 the Scott County Jail and Scott County Poor Farm were completed upon the commission of Judge W.A. Bates. Growth began to slow in the next decade, but some businesses still made their mark on Main Street. The City Garage, which sold Ford automobiles, was opened directly west of the courthouse in 1916. During the 1920’s the stock market crash left many farmers throughout the area in financial hardship. B.S. Hinkle helped improve conditions for farmers during that time through efforts such as the rural electrification lines. In the 1930’s the New Deal brought the WPA to Scott County to help provide jobs for people in the area. Main Street was paved for the first time between West First and East Fifth streets. In 1931 the Pines Theatre was opened on South Main Street. Additionally a new courthouse was completed in 1935 with help from the
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
WPA. It is still standing today and is a prime example of Art Deco architecture. Throughout the 1940’s and 50’s Waldron went from a commercial center to becoming an industrial town shifting focus away from the Main Street area.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
 
Location. 34° 53.897′ N, 94° 5.478′ W. Marker is in Waldron, Arkansas, in Scott County. It is on South Main Street (Business U.S. 71) just south of Danville Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located along the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 282 South Main Street, Waldron AR 72958, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Arkansas’ Ouachita Mountains. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, and in the Ozarks. Globally,
1900-1960 Marker<br>Waldron Hardware Mercantile Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
2. 1900-1960 Marker
Waldron Hardware Mercantile Building
From the National Register Nomination:  The building at 282 South Main Street contains Italianate features that include arched windows on the second floor, arched doorways on first floor, decorative brickwork on front faηade, and a bracketed roof. This building is circa 1880 and referred to as the Waldron Hardware Mercantile Building. John T. Forrester, who was a prominent businessman in Waldron at the turn of the century, originally owned it.
it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana Purchase, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: 1830-1899 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Scott County Jail (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scott County in the Civil War (about 700 feet away).
 
Regarding 1900-1960. Waldron Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places № 08000943.
From the National Register Nomination prepared by Angela Clifton, 4/7/2008:
The Kansas City Southern Railroad came to Waldron in 1902, as well as the First National Bank and the Bank of Waldron both opening in 1901. The majority of the construction during this time period was on the east side of South Main Street between East Second and East Fifth Streets. Eleven buildings from this time period remain in the historic district. The one and two-story brick buildings from this period
1900-1960 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
3. 1900-1960 Marker
The marker is located between the Stone Brothers Building (left) and the Waldron Hardware Mercantile Building (right), both contributing properties in the Waldron Commercial Historic District.
represent standard twentieth century architecture. During the 1920s, the streets of South Main Street were paved, and a central water system replaced the cisterns, wells, and outhouses. The 1930s marked the era of the Great Depression. Waldron’s First National Bank closed its doors, but the Bank of Waldron stayed in business. The New Deal brought the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to Scott County, and Waldron opened a WPA office on South Main Street in the 1930s. The WPA provided jobs for many people living in the area. The Civil Works projects were headed by Mrs. G.C. Bates, which provided work for 81 women in Waldron. These women worked in canning and sewing centers all over the county.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Waldron Commercial Historic District
 
Also see . . .
1. Waldron Commercial Historic District (Encyclopedia of Arkansas).
Excerpt:  In the 1930s, the New Deal brought the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to Scott County to provide jobs for people in the area who were suffering during the Depression. Main Street was paved for the first time
Waldron Commercial Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
4. Waldron Commercial Historic District Marker
Waldron Commercial Historic District
Has Been Listed in the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
2008
between 1st and 5th streets. In 1931, the Pines Theatre opened on South Main Street. A new courthouse was completed in 1934 with help from the WPA. Throughout the 1940s and 1950s, Waldron shifted from a commercial center to an industrial town, with less focus on the Main Street area.
(Submitted on December 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Waldron Commercial Historic District (Wikipedia).
Excerpt:  The Waldron Commercial Historic District encompasses the historic central business district of Waldron, Arkansas. This area, a five-block stretch of Main Street was primarily developed between 1880 and 1920 but was an active commercial area from the town's incorporation in 1852. An unknown number of its early buildings were destroyed during the American Civil War. Most of the buildings are one- and two-story brick structures, with a variety of commercial architectural and vernacular styles present.
(Submitted on December 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Waldron Commercial Historic District image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
5. Waldron Commercial Historic District
Looking north along South Main Street from East 5th Street.
First National Bank Building<br>230 South Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
6. First National Bank Building
230 South Main Street
From the National Register Nomination:  In 1901 the Bank of Waldron and First National Bank both opened on South Main Street.
The Pines Theatre<br>281 South Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
7. The Pines Theatre
281 South Main Street
From the National Register Nomination:  The Pines Theatre built in 1931, reflects an Art Deco style.
Bank of Waldron Building (<i>right corner</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
8. Bank of Waldron Building (right corner)
From the National Register Nomination:  The Bank of Waldron located at 245 South Main Street is a two-story brick structure built in 1901 that has one- and two-story cornices over the windows with inlaid stonework over the two-story double-hung windows.
Historic Post Office Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
9. Historic Post Office Building
From the National Register Nomination:  The Post Office Building located at 251 South Main Street was built circa 1910. This is the only building that remains with a beveled, side entrance. The building shows Italianate influences with its arched doorways and windows and decorative brickwork, even though most Italianate buildings do not post-date the nineteenth century.
Historic Scott County Courthouse<br>184 South Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 12, 2024
10. Historic Scott County Courthouse
184 South Main Street
From the National Register Nomination:  The Scott County Courthouse, built in 1933, replaced the 1904 courthouse after it was destroyed in a fire. This courthouse was completed in 1935 with the help of the Public Works Administration workers. The courthouse is a great example of the Art Deco style constructed with concrete and brick detail and has fixed windows with central inset awnings. A modern courthouse was erected on First Street and the 1933 Scott County Courthouse now lies vacant.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 12, 2024, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
m=262791

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2026