Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grover in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Koger-Murray-Carroll House

 
 
Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 2010
1. Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker
Inscription.  (Front text)
This house, an excellent example of early Federal era-architecture, was built about 1800 for Joseph Koger, Jr. (1779-1866), planter, state representative 1806-1812, Colleton District sheriff 1813-18, and state senator 1818-1838. Koger moved to Mississippi in 1838 and sold the house to his brother-in-law, John Soule Murray (1792-1844), planter and state senator 1840-43.
(Reverse text)
In 1865 James Parsons Carroll (1809-1883), chancellor of the state court of equity, bought the house as a summer retreat. Carroll had been a state representative 1838-39, state senator 1852-53 and 1858-59, and a delegate to the Secession Convention. The house has long been called “the Old Carroll Place” and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
 
Erected 2003 by The Generals Gordon-Capers Camp #123, Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Marker Number 18-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. 33° 7.716′ N, 80° 38.118′ W. Marker is in Grover, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Wire Rd. (State Road 18-19) near Sandy Branch Road, on the left when traveling west. Located just east of I-95,(no access), 2.5 miles West of Grover. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grover SC 29447, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Appleby's Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Grover Methodist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Green Pond United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Badham House / Dorchester Lumber Company (approx. 4.8 miles away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (approx. 5.2 miles away); Town of St. George (approx. 5.4 miles away); St. George Public High School/St. George Graded School (approx. 5.4 miles away); Island Creek Meeting House (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grover.
 
Regarding Koger-Murray-Carroll House. The Carroll Place, a plain Georgian I-House dwelling, is one of the oldest plantation houses in what is now Dorchester County. Its builder, Joseph Koger, was prominent in the political affairs of the area. The house appears on the Robert Mills survey of 1820. The clapboard single house is of black cypress construction
Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 2009
2. Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker, reverse side
and rests upon massive, low brick pillars laid in English bond. The hip roof is pierced on the rear slope by two single chimneys. On one of these, the date 1829 appears, possibly indicating a completion or remodeling date for the structure. The veranda has a hipped roof, is supported by six wooden posts, and shelters five bays, the center one being an eight-paneled door surmounted by a three-paned flush transom. This home belonged to several prominent state government officials: Joseph Koger, who represented the Parish of St. George, Dorchester, in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1806 to 1812 and the South Carolina Senate from 1818 until 1838; John S. Murray, who served in the South Carolina Senate from 1840 to 1844; and James Carroll, who represented Edgefield District in both the State House of Representatives and Senate before becoming chancellor of the Court of Equity in 1859. Approximately 150 feet from the house is a grave marker dating from 1837 that marks the graves of three Koger children. Listed in the National Register July 25, 1974.
 
Koger-Murray-Carroll House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 2009
3. Koger-Murray-Carroll House and Marker
seen from Wire Road, (State Road 18-19)
Koger-Murray-Carroll House , as seen today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, December 2009
4. Koger-Murray-Carroll House , as seen today
Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives & History, circa 1974
5. Koger-Murray-Carroll House Marker
National Register of Historic Places : Carroll Place (added 1974 - Building - #74001849) • Also known as Old Carroll Place • Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Person • Architect, builder, or engineer: Kroger,Joseph • Architectural Style: Georgian • Historic Person: Kroger,Joseph • Significant Year: 1820 •
Koger-Murray-Carroll House image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives & History, circa 1974
6. Koger-Murray-Carroll House
Area of Significance: Social History, Politics/Government, Architecture • Period of Significance: 1800-1824 • Owner: Private • Historic Function: Domestic • Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling • Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence •
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,443 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 11, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26349

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024