Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13284.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, World II.
Location. 30° 18.092′ N, 104° 1.629′ W. Marker is in Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is on Bonnie Street west of South Hill Street, on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort D.A. Russell (approx. ¼ mile away); Blackwell School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hunter Gymnasium (approx. ¾ mile away); El Paisano Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); James Buchanan Gillett (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Edward Russell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Presidio County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
1. Fort D.A.Russell overview
Another marker (not shown here) provides a bit more on Fort D.A. Russell itself: "Originally named Camp Marfa, this installation began as a supply post for U. S. Army border patrol stations in 1911. It was a cavalry camp during the years of the Mexican Revolution. Renamed for Civil War general David Allen Russell, it became a permanent Army post in 1929. Deactivated at the end of 1933, it was reopened in 1935 with artillery units. During World War II Fort Russell became an army training camp, and was home to a chemical warfare battalion as well as German prisoners of war. The fort was officially closed in October 1946."
Additional keywords. Camp Marfa, Mexican Revolution, Pancho Villa
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,940 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2. submitted on November 2, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 4. submitted on September 5, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.