Ridgeland in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse
This county was established in 1912 from portions of Beaufort and Hampton counties and is named, it is said, for Sergeant William Jasper, hero of the American Revolution. The same act establishing the new county also designated Ridgeland (incorporated 1894) as the county seat. Charles E. Perry, John M. Langford. J.H. Woods, J.P. Wise and Rodger Pinckney were first county commissioners.
Jasper County Courthouse
Land for this Courthouse was given to Jasper County in 1912 by Charles E. Perry, a local farmer, lumberman, and merchant. The courthouse was completed in 1915 with William A. Edwards, a native South Carolinian as architect, and C.V. York as contractor. The Georgian Revival style building was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Erected 1993 by Ivy Garden Club. (Marker Number 28-10.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 32° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ridgeland (approx. ¼ mile away); Gopher Tortoise Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 1½ miles away); Grahamville (approx. 1½ miles away); Euhaw Baptist Church (approx. 1½ miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgeland.
Regarding Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places:
Jasper County Courthouse ** (added 1981 - - #81000566)
♦ Historic Significance: Event,
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: ♦ Edwards,William Augustus, York,C.V.
♦ Architectural Style: Other, Colonial Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Government, Recreation
♦ Historic Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
♦ Current Function: Government, Recreation And Culture
♦ Current Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
Jasper County Courthouse is the first and only courthouse for Jasper County, which was formed in 1912 from parts of Hampton and Beaufort Counties. The courthouse was built in 1915, according to plans by William Augustus Edwards. C.V. York was the contractor. The courthouse is a two-story brick building of Georgian Revival design. The colossal tetrastyle Ionic portico, the heraldic shield in the tympanum, and the siting of the building, occupying an entire block, are devices intended to establish and reinforce the authority of the newly established county government. The portico, as well, establishes an order by which the entire building is composed. Its entablature is carried around the entire building. The courthouse has a cross-axis plan, with a short, broad hall leading from the portico and a long longitudinal hall perpendicular to the entrance hall. The courtroom occupies most of the second story. A World War I memorial, a flagpole, and a low brick wall complete the grounds. Listed in the National Register October 30, 1981.(S.C. Dept. of Archives and History)
Also see . . .
1. Jasper County, SC. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Jasper County, SC Plantations. Most of the plantations in Jasper County grew cotton. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,395 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.