Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Episcopal Church of Our Saviour
The first services were in private homes and at Rock Hill Academy 1857-1861. The church was organized Easter 1870 with the Rev. Roberts P. Johnson as its first rector. Founders included the families of Col. Cadwallader Jones, Halcott Pride Green, Maj. John R. London, Col. J.M. Ivy, and Samuel G. Keesler. This structure, completed in 1872 with alterations since, is the oldest church building in the city.
The first parish house, built in 1922, contained one of the first gymnasiums in Rock Hill. Under the leadership of the Rev. W. Preston Peyton, it was a center for community activities. It was replaced by the present parish house, built in 1991, which contains a hall dedicated to the memory of the Rev. William W. Lumpkin (1910-1969), rector 1951-1969.
Erected 2000 by Congregation and Friends in Memory of Walter Thomas Jenkins, Jr. (Marker Number 46-29.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 34° 55.563′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 144 Caldwell Street, Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 202 East Main Street (about 600 feet away); Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (about 600 feet away); Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant (about 600 feet away); McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins / "Friendship Nine" (about 600 feet away); The Dalton Building (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (about 600 feet away); White Home (about 700 feet away); From Mall To Main (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
More about this marker. The Episcopal Church of Our Savior is located in the Rock Hill Downtown Historic District.
Also see . . . Rock Hill Downtown Historic District. The Rock Hill Downtown Historic District contains twelve contributing buildings that are of importance to the growth and development of the City of Rock Hill. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
The oldest church building in Rock Hill, the Church of Our Savior, was built in 1872 as a Gothic frame chapel with board-and-batten siding. In 1895, the vestibule was added. In 1908, the transepts, chancel, and tower were added, and the church was encased in brick. In that year, the first stained glass windows were also added. The Parish Hall was constructed in 1922 to the southeast along Oakland avenue, and it contained Rock Hill's first gymnasium available to the public. The Parish Hall was demolished in 1990. In 1963, the nave was enlarged on each side and the front porch added. Although altered, the church retains its Gothic Revival character. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 910 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.