Cannon in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Town of Cannon
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7343.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 33° 26.338′ N, 96° 29.017′ W. Marker is in Cannon, Texas, in Grayson County. It is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2729 and Farm to Market Road 121, on the right when traveling north on Road 2729. The marker is located at the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7466 FM2729, Van Alstyne TX 75495, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Cannon Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Binion Homestead (approx. 2.8 miles away); Pilot Grove (approx. 3.4 miles away); Pilot Grove Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Elm Grove Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); American Legion Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); Collin McKinney (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Cannon, TX. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Cannon is at the junction of Farm roads 2729 and 121, twelve miles southeast of Sherman in southeastern Grayson County. Settlement of the community occurred in 1852, when Elijah Cannon, a native of Pickens County, South Carolina, built a gristmill and gin. Construction of a school, a church, and several businesses established the community as a center for area farmers in the 1870s. In 1876 John A. and Joseph L. Cobb founded the Centennial Institute, which burned in 1888. In 1877 a post office opened there. One source indicates that the town may have been called Canaan in its early history.(Submitted on December 28, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2025. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 27, 2025, by Gary Estep of Anna, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


