Near Savoy in Fannin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Virginia Point Methodist
County's oldest church. Organized 1837 at Old Warren. This building was erected in 1860.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee, erected by Dr. and Mrs. Homer Jones. (Marker Number 8944.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 33° 39.361′ N, 96° 22.526′ W. Marker is near Savoy, Texas, in Fannin County. It is on County Road 1200 1.1 miles west of Farm to Market Road 1752, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located on the front wall of the historic church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1386 CR 1200, Savoy TX 75479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Prairies & Lakes Region. It is also in the American South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: First Baptist Church of Bells (approx. 3.8 miles away); Savoy Methodist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Fort Warren (approx. 4.4 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Washburn Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Little Jordan Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Carpenters Bluff Bridge (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savoy.
Also see . . . Virginia Point History. Virginia Point United Methodist Church
Virginia Point United Methodist Church is the oldest Methodist church in continuous service in North Texas. A small group of pioneer families came from Virginia to Fort Warren in 1834. They moved northwestward to an area 12 miles from what is now known as Denison. The settlement was called Warren. This area was selected because the land was cheap, the Indians were not too hostile and the nearby fort offered protection and a source of supplies. Land was bought from the few cattlemen who inhabited the area. The settlers began clearing the land and building their homes. The settlement eventually became known as Virginia Point because the surrounding landscape reminded the Virginians of their native homeland.(Submitted on December 29, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2026. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 18, 2026, by Gary Estep of Anna, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on December 30, 2024, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


