San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Little Brown Church
Erected 1980 by San Leandro Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 43.473′ N, 122° 9.503′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Clarke Street near West Estudillo Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 384 West Estudillo Avenue, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Casa Peralta (within shouting distance of this marker); San Leandro Courthouse Site (within shouting distance of this marker); County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals Historic Daniel & Meta Best Home (within shouting distance of this marker); San Leandro – Industry (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Estudillo Home (about 600 feet away); Historic Best Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
More about this marker. Marker is located at the parking area for the Casa Peralta.The Casa Peralta is located on the northeast corner of West Estudillo Avenue and Clarke Street. The parking area is accessible from Clarke Street.
Regarding The Little Brown Church. The First Presbyterian Church was always known as "The Little Brown Church" to its members. Rev. James McKinney Alexander dedicated the church in April, 1867. It was the third church building constructed in San Leandro and is the oldest such structure remaining. The church stood on Clarke Street near W. Joaquin. In 1880, a room 12 x 16 feet was added to the church. This addition was the Sunday School and it is the building that you see today. The sanctuary portion of the building was moved to the Ashland area in 1935. It stood near Fairmont Hospital and was used as a church for the Latin community. In the early 1960's the site was needed for a new freeway, and the original Little Brown Church was demolished. The Sunday School building remained behind on Clarke Street. When the Clarke Street lot was sold,
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 12, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.