Newkirk in Kay County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Vogele & Columbia Buildings
These two story native limestone buildings were constructed in 1901. The Vogele building had a rock faced coursed ashlar finish visible below and above the two arched bays each with stone relieving round arches. A stone checkerboard pattern appeared around the bays. Decorative stonework embellished the entablature. Columns on the north extended from ground level to above the cornice line, forming decorative caps. A decorative stone cap also appeared in the center of the cornice line with a stone plaque bearing the date 1901 and the name C.E. Vogele.
H. Perlstein owned the building from 1918 until 1937 and operated a general store here. In 1919 Dr. Hazen and Dr. Gowey put in an "up to the minute" emergency hospital over Perlstein's store. It was equipped with four rooms to take care of any emergency case. Miss Pieler, an experienced nurse, was in charge.
The Columbia building was identical to the Vogele building. A decorative stone cap appeared in the center of the cornice line with the stone plaque bearing the date of 1901 and the name of J. C. Columbia. Columbia was one of the early day businessmen in the community, having made the run in 1893. In 1899 he owned the lumberyard located one block north of the courthouse square and one-half block from the post office.
He was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, September 1, 1849 and was educated in the Indian Mission Schools of Kansas. In 1876 he married Miss Angeline Wright of Missouri, and they had four children, two sons and two daughters. Columbia was a member and trustee of the Methodist Church and a Royal Arch Mason and K.P.
In 1901 Columbia built a dry good, ladies' and gent's furnishings and fine footwear store. The store was among the very first in bringing to this community the latest styles and ideas. He built a forty-foot extension in 1902 to accommodate the new bowling alley of Witham and Bohrier. In 1907 this building also boasted the first electric sign on Main Street.
Due to poor maintenance the buildings had become unstable and were removed in August of 2002.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 36° 53.005′ N, 97° 3.23′ W. Marker is in Newkirk, Oklahoma, in Kay County. It is on North Main Street (U.S. 77) just south of West 6th Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located just inside the reconstructed facade, on the north side of "Hole in the Wall" park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 North Main Street, Newkirk OK 74647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South, specifically on the prairies, and on the Southern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana Purchase, and Cherokee Outlet.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Oil Boom Era (here, next to this marker); David Roy (a few steps from this marker); Newkirk Junior Main Street (a few steps from this marker); The Cline Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Cherokee Allotments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank (about 300 feet away); Fire of 1901 (about 300 feet away); Cherokee Outlet... or Cherokee Strip? (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newkirk.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. "Hole in the Wall" Park

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 9, 2024
5. Doug & Sandra Cline Memorial Trust Marker
Facades of the historic Vogele and Columbia
Buildings reconstructed for the Newkirk
Community Historical Society by the
Doug & Sandra Cline
Memorial Trust
Dedicated September 17, 2009

Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, September 9, 2024
6. Reconstructed Vogele & Columbia Faηades
Looking west from North Main Street; the marker is located beside the bench on the right side of the facade. The original Vogele and Columbia stone caps from 1901 have been preserved and are placed atop the reconstructed facade.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2025. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 1, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.



