Greater South River City in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Edward’s University Main Building
Erected in 1888. Rebuilt after fire in 1903. Nicholas J. Clayton, master architect, designed both building in Gothic revival style.
Serves institution founded in 1873 by congregation of Holy Cross, as male Catholic school. First pupils were local farm boys. In 1921 college-level courses were added. Was rechartered in 1925 as a university. During World War II, served as an academy and flying school. Admitted women in 1966.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14821.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 30° 13.784′ N, 97° 45.3′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Greater South River City. Marker can be reached from University east of St. Joseph Hill, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Approximate Site Reached by the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Magruder, C.S.A (approx. 0.6 miles away); Doyle Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Reuter House (approx. one mile away); Walter and Mae Simms House (approx. one mile away); Texas Dental Association (approx. 1.1 miles away); Green Pastures (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . St. Edward's University. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.