Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George W. Sampson Home
Former Confederate Army Captain and leading Austin merchant George W. Sampson (1825-88) married Mary Goodwin Hall (b. 1845), niece of Gov. Edmund J. Davis. Their wedding in 1872 was the first held in the Governor’s Mansion. In 1875 the Sampsons built this house of native limestone, hand-cut at the site. A cistern stored rainwater for what was possibly Austin’s first complete indoor plumbing system. The gallery with Corinthian columns was added in the 1920s.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2162.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 30° 16.433′ N, 97° 44.872′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on Rio Grande Street north of West 10th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1003 Rio Grande Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Clark House Outbuilding (within shouting Moore-Flack House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pease School (about 500 feet away); Pease School Building (about 500 feet away); Brizendine House (about 500 feet away); Fischer House (about 500 feet away); The Boardman-Webb House (about 500 feet away); Austin High School (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,053 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.