Near Carnesville in Franklin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Carroll's Methodist Church
>>>>--- 2˝ mi. --->
Instituted in 1797, this church was named for the William Carroll family, among its first members. Families identified with the church through the years are McWhorters, Osborns, Starrs, Stones, Browns, Burtons, Sewells, Jacksons, Hemphills, Deans, Buffingtons, Cheeks, Mabrys, Turmans, Stricklands, Carsons, Hayes, Greens, Millers, and many others. The present building, erected about 1835, was restored in 1951-52 under the leadership of Bishop John H. Baker. Rev. Nelson Osborn (1797-1873) was a lifelong member and minister for many years. A number of other well-known Georgia ministers have served the church.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 059-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
Location. 34° 21.55′ N, 83° 12.5′ W. Marker is near Carnesville, Georgia, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Royston Road (Georgia Route Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carnesville GA 30521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franklin County (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Carroll’s Methodist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 3.6 miles away); Double Branches Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Federal Road Historic District (approx. 5.8 miles away); Red Hill School (approx. 6 miles away); Historical Franklin Springs (approx. 6.3 miles away); Original Site and Portions (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carnesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.