Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rione IV Campo Marzio in Roma in Cittเ metropolitana di Roma Capitale, Latium, Rome, Italy — Central Italy (Tyrrhenian Coast)
 

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli
⎯⎯⎯
Church of Saint Mary of Miracles

 
 
Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli / Church of Saint Mary of Miracles Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 26, 2024
1. Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Miracoli / Church of Saint Mary of Miracles Marker
Inscription.  Italian:
sec. XVII
Architettura
: C. Rainaldi (1611-1691) G. L. Bernini (1598-1680), C. Fontana (1638-1714), G. Theodoli (1677-1766) Scultura: A. Raggi (1624-1686), L. Morelli (1608-1690), F. Carcani (notizie 1657-1685), E. Ferrata (1610-1686), C. Fancelli (1620-1688), M. Maille (notizie 1657-1700), G. Lucenti (1713-1749)

La chiesa di S. Maria dei Miracoli deve il suo nome ad una miracolosa immagine della Madonna che nel 1525 aveva salvato un bambino dalle acque del Tevere. Nel 1598 l'icona, che si venerava in una cappella detta S. Maria Miracolorum, eretta presso le Mura Aureliane in corrispondenza dell'attuale Ponte Margherita, fu sostituita da una copia, mentre l'originale veniva collocato nella chiesa di S. Giacomo in Augusta, dove ่ tuttora custodita. A causa dei miasmi del Tevere, nel 1661 Alessandro VII ordinava ai religiosi francescani che officiavano la cappella di trasferirsi nella chiesa di S. Orsola in Piazza del Popolo, che di l์ a poco, per ordine dello stesso pontefice, veniva abbattuta per edificare l'attuale chiesa di S. Maria dei Miracoli.

La nuova costruzione fu iniziata nel 1675 al termine dei lavori per la chiesa gemella: intrapresa sotto la direzione di Carlo Rainaldi, fu compiuta da Carlo Fontana con la supervisione di Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1677-1679); munifico promotore dell'impresa fu il cardinal Girolamo Gastaldi che ่ qui sepolto.

La facciata, con il pronao sorretto da quattro colonne, ่ simile a quella di S. Maria di Montesanto. Sulla balaustra che corona l'attico svettano otto statue in travertino raffiguranti sante dell'Ordine Francescano, opere di artisti di ambito berniniano: Lazzaro Morelli, Filippo Carcani, Ercole Ferrata, Cosimo Fancelli, Michele Maille (1676-1677). La cupola ottagona ่ rivestita con tegole di lavagna; il campanile, di ispirazione borrominiana, ่ opera settecentesca di Girolamo Theodoli.

L'interno ่ a pianta centrale; sulla lapide circolare in marmo e lavagna al centro del pavimento spicca lo stemma del cardinale Gastaldi. Notevole l'ampio e ricco presbiterio, introdotto da un maestoso arco trionfale sul quale campeggia lo stemma del Gastaldi sorretto da angeli (la decorazione plastica in stucco si deve ad Antonio Raggi); sulle pareti sono collocati i sepolcri di Girolamo e Benedetto Gastaldi, ideati dal Fontana e decorati con statue del Raggi e di Girolamo Lucenti (1675-1681). Al Fontana si deve anche il disegno dell'altar maggiore, impreziosito dagli eccellenti stucchi di Antonio Raggi (1677), dove troneggia l'immagine della Madonna dei Miracoli.

Dal 1915 la chiesa ่ officiata dai sacerdoti della Congregazione del S. Cuore di Ges๙ di B้tharram.

Didascalie
(Foto #1) Pianta
(Foto #2) Veduta prospettica


English:
17th century
Architecture
: C. Rainaldi (1611-1691), G. L. Bernini (1598-1680), C. Fontana (1638-1714), G. Theodoli (1677-1766) Sculpture: A. Raggi (1624-1686), L. Morelli (1608-1690), F. Carcani (records 1657-1685), E. Ferrata (1610-1686), C. Fancelli (1620-1688), M. Maille (records 1657-1700), G. Lucenti (1713-1749)

The Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli owes its name to a miraculous painting of the Madonna which saved a child from the waters of the Tiber in 1525. In 1598 the icon, which was venerated in a chapel known as "Santa Maria Miraculorum," and which stood close to the Aurelian Walls where the Ponte Margherita is today, was replaced by a copy while the original was put in the Church of San Giacomo in Augusta where it can still be seen. Due to the miasmas of the Tiber in 1661 Alexander VII ordered the Franciscans who officiated the chapel to move to the Church of Sant' Orsola in Piazza del Popolo which some time later, on order of the same pontiff was demolished to build the Chapel of Santa Maria dei Miracoli.

Work on the new building was started in 1675 when work ended on its twin church. The director of the works was Carlo Rainaldi while they were carried out by Carlo Fontana with the supervision of Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1677-1679). Cardinal Girolamo Gastaldi was the munificent sponsor of the works and is buried in the church.

The fa็ade, with the pronaus supported by four columns, is similar to that in Santa Maria di Montesanto. The eight travertine statues of the saints of the Franciscan Order which stand on the balustrade crowning the attic, are the work of artists close to Bernini: Lazzaro Morelli, Filippo Carcani, Ercole Ferrata, Cosimo Fancelli and Michele Maille (1676-1677). The octagonal dome is covered in slate tiles; the bell tower, inspired by Borromini, is an 18th-century work by Girolamo Theodoli.

The interior is on a central plan with the crest of Cardinal Gastaldi on a circular marble and slate plaque in the centre of the floor. The richly embellished and ample presbytery is striking and is reached through a triumphal arch on which we find the Gastaldi crest held up by angels (the stucco sculptures are by Antonio Raggi). The tombs of Girolamo and Benedetto Gastaldi, designed by Fontana and decorated with statues by Raggi and Girolamo Lucenti (1675-1681), are on the walls. The design of the high altar is also the work of Fontana and is embellished with the excellent stucco work of Antonio Raggi (1677) and the image of the "Madonna dei Miracoli."

Since 1915 the church has been officiated by the priests of the Congregation of the Sacro Cuore di Ges๙ di B้tharram.

Captions
(Photo #1) Floor Plan
(Photo #2) Perspective view

 
Erected by Ministry
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Cultural Heritage and Activities Superintendence for Artistic and Historical Heritage of Rome Superintendence for Environmental and Architectural Heritage of Rome Municipality of Rome - Department of Cultural Policies - Superintendence for Cultural Heritage - Department of Tourism and Jubilee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1525.
 
Location. 41° 54.588′ N, 12° 28.598′ E. Marker is in Roma, Lazio (Latium, Rome), in Cittเ metropolitana di Roma Capitale. It is in Rione IV Campo Marzio. It is at the intersection of Via del Corso and Piazza del Popolo on Via del Corso. The marker is located along the east side of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Via del Corso snc, Roma, Lazio 00187, Italy. Touch for directions.

Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, the Schengen Area, a coastal Mediterranean country, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Roman Empire.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker:
The view of the Church of Saint Mary of Miracles and Marker along the church image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 26, 2024
2. The view of the Church of Saint Mary of Miracles and Marker along the church
Chiesa di Santa Maria di Montesanto / Church of Saint Mary of Montesanto (a few steps from this marker); Hotel de Russie (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Palazzo Nainer (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince Girolamo Napoleone (within shouting distance of this marker); Eleonora de Fonseca Pimentel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Chiesa di Santa Maria del Popolo / Church of Saint Mary of the People (about 150 meters away); Official connection between Via Del Babuino and Madison Avenue (about 180 meters away); Juliusz Słowacki (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roma.
 
The Church of Saint Mary of Miracles image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 26, 2024
3. The Church of Saint Mary of Miracles
The marker is located on the left side of the church.
The Church of Saint Mary of Miracles is the right side church image. Click for full size.
Photographed by James Hulse, February 26, 2024
4. The Church of Saint Mary of Miracles is the right side church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2025. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 23, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.
m=265155

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 23, 2026