Milwood in Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church
Organized in 1887, this congregation first met in a small wooden building near this site. The Rev. Stephens Smith served as first pastor of the church, which served residents of the Waters Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville communities. Land for a church and school was given by Mr. and Mrs. Anderson Peoples in 1887. St. Stephen’s School, also known as Waters Park Colored School, provided education for black children in the area. A new sanctuary was built in 1978. This church continues to serve a large community with outreach programs.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14813.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 30° 25.232′ N, 97° 43.039′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Milwood. Marker can be reached from Amherst Drive near Cassady Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12300 Amherst Dr, Austin TX 78727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the Waters Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Gault Homestead (approx. 2.7 miles away); Walnut Creek Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Texas Newspapers, C.S.A. (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pond Springs Community and School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Jollyville Community and School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Jolly Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church official website. (Submitted on September 2, 2012, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of El Paso, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,184 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on October 6, 2012, by D. Kevin Surbaugh of El Paso, Texas. 3. submitted on March 18, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.