Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

State Bar of Texas

 
 
State Bar of Texas Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. State Bar of Texas Marker
Inscription.  

On July 15, 1882, a volunteer organization of Texas attorneys known as the Texas Bar Association was established in Galveston, with Judge Thomas J. Devine as the first president. The forerunner of the State Bar of Texas, the group met annually to address common concerns such as the uniformity of jurisprudence, legislation, the regulation of the conduct of lawyers, and other statewide legal matters.

An act of the State Legislature signed by Governor W. Lee O’Daniel in 1939 created the State Bar of Texas. Its purpose was to place all persons practicing law in the state under uniform rules and regulations. After the Texas Bar Association merged with the new state agency in 1940, members of the state bar, under the direction of first president Angus Wynne, continued to carry out the association’s traditions and goals.

While the agency’s first office was located in the Littlefield Building at Sixth and Congress, it has been at this site since 1953. Guided by an elected board of directors, a president, and president elect, the state bar is operated on a daily basis by an executive director and a full staff.

For
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
over 100 years these professional organizations have played unique roles in the state’s legal history.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6422.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1834.
 
Location. 30° 16.617′ N, 97° 44.468′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is on Colorado Street south of West 15th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1414 Colorado Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swedish Central Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wahrenberger House (about 300 feet away); Texas World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away); Price Daniel (about 300 feet away); Statue of Liberty Replica (about 400 feet away); Texas World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); Remember Pearl Harbor ★ Keep America Alert (about 400 feet away); Carrington-Covert House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .  State Bar of Texas. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
State Bar of Texas Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, November 11, 2020
2. State Bar of Texas Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26574

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024