Downtown Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Swedish Central Methodist Church
Organized in 1873 by the Rev. Carl Charnquist, the Swedish Methodist Church built a sanctuary at Red River and 15th street. Led by the Rev. O.E. Olander, the congregation moved to this site in 1898 and occupied buildings of disbanded Central Methodist Church. The fellowship added “Central” to its name and later dropped “Swedish”. Church property, then across from the Capitol grounds at Colorado and 13th street, was sold in 1956 for expansion of state offices. Renamed Memorial Methodist Church, the historic congregation moved to northeast Austin.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15330.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 30° 16.571′ N, 97° 44.467′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. It is in Downtown Austin. Marker is at the intersection of West 14th Street and Colorado Street, on the right when traveling east on West 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Texas World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Statue of Liberty Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); Remember Pearl Harbor ★ Keep America Alert (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Rose (within shouting distance of this marker); State Bar of Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wahrenberger House (about 300 feet away); Price Daniel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.