Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Mary Church

 
 
St. Mary Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
1. St. Mary Church Marker
Inscription. St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus’ South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. Francis X. Specht, St. Mary’s first pastor. It served as a temporary house of worship until the Gothic-style church was completed. St. Mary’s distinctive spire—soaring 197 feet into the Columbus sky—was added in 1893.

By 1865 Columbus’ population was one-third German, and the South Side had become a thriving working-class community. The new immigrants built homes and churches and established schools. Local German businesses, organizations, and newspapers prospered.

German Village is one of the premier historic restorations in the world, and is the largest privately funded historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. More than 1,600 buildings have been restored since 1960.
 
Erected 1999 by the Ohio Bicentennial Commission, the Longaberger Company, St. Mary School Student Council, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-25.)
 
Topics and series.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesReligion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 56.9′ N, 82° 59.712′ W. Marker was in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. It was in South Columbus. It was on South 3rd Street just south of East Sycamore Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Columbus OH 43206, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker was in Ohio’s Scioto Valley. It was also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it was in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it found itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location: Circa Mid 1888 (within
St. Mary Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
2. St. Mary Church and Marker
Marker can be seen between the two cars.
shouting distance of this marker); Historic German Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Circa 1887 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 400 feet away); Circa 1897 (about 400 feet away); Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Historic German Village (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  German Village Video. A 10 minute piece about German Village narrated by Andra Cambern originally shown on WBNS TV Channel 10 in 2007. (Submitted on July 7, 2009.) 
 
Monsignor Specht Parish Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
3. Monsignor Specht Parish Center
The original schoolhouse, built in 1865. It is between the church and the 1887 school.
1887 St. Mary's School image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
4. 1887 St. Mary's School
This building faces South Lazelle Street.
Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
5. Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant
“Since 1886.” East Kossuth Street jogs to the right around this building at Purdy Street. Started as a meatpacking business, branched out as an Ohio State Fair food stand in the 1920s and opened this restaurant in 1967.
The Book Loft in German Village image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
6. The Book Loft in German Village
An eclectic 32 room book store, one of the largest independent bookstores in the nation, is across the street and one block north of St. Mary’s.
A Shady Sidewalk in German Village image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, June 20, 2009
7. A Shady Sidewalk in German Village
St. Marien Kirche (St. Mary Church in German) A.D. 1867 image. Click for full size.
Photographed by William Fischer, Jr., November 7, 2009
8. St. Marien Kirche (St. Mary Church in German) A.D. 1867
At base of steeple, above entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2025. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,846 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on March 1, 2025, by Grant & Mary Ann Fish of Galloway, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 4, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   6, 7. submitted on July 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   8. submitted on November 25, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
m=267287

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2026