Smithfield in Isle of Wight County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Luke’s Church
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-245.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era National Historic Landmarks, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1632.
Location. 36° 56.304′ N, 76° 35.191′ W. Marker is in Smithfield, Virginia, in Isle of Wight County. Marker is at the intersection of Benns Church Boulevard (Virginia Route 10) and Brewers Neck Road (U.S. 258) on Benns Church Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithfield VA 23430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic St. Luke's Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benn’s Church (about 600 feet away); Saint Luke's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Josiah Parker (approx. 1.6 miles away); Missile Magazine and Launch Operations (approx. 2.1 miles away); People and Places, circa 1957 at N-75L (approx. 2.1 miles away); 1954 Nike-Ajax Missile Site N-75L (approx. 2.2 miles away); Nike-Ajax Missile Radar Control Site N-75C (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithfield.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Graveyards of Southeast Virginia - St. Luke's Church. Three pages showing pictures of several graves and other markers at St. Luke’s Church. (Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Historic St. Luke's Church Website. Includes history and artifacts of St. Luke's. (Submitted on September 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Surveyor remarks.
St. Luke’s, or as it was called prior to the Revolution: “The Old Brick Church”, was built under the care of Joseph Bridger [d. 1686] sometime between 1632 and 1662, in what was then the Warrescoyack Parish, later divided in 1642 into Newport and Warrescoyack.
The church is remarkable as the only remaining example of a buttressed Gothic Church of the seventeenth century in America.
The church remained in constant use until about the first quarter of the 18th century when if fell into disrepair. In 1887 the roof fell in carrying down part of the walls. The building remained in a state of disuse until a restoration was begun in 1890 under the direction of the Rev. David Barr, then rector
From a Historical American Buildings Survey, compiled after 1933 (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.va0599).
— Submitted September 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,000 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 3. submitted on September 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on September 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.