East Colorado Springs in El Paso County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Jackson House
This property has been placed on the
State Register of Historic Properties
by the Colorado Historical Society
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 38° 50.936′ N, 104° 49.228′ W. Marker is in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in El Paso County. It is in East Colorado Springs. It is on North Nevada Avenue (CanAm Highway) (Business Interstate 25) north of East Cache La Poudre Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, on the right side of the west/front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1029 North Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs CO 80903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Colorado’s Front Range and in Pikes Peak Region. It is also in the American Mountain West. Globally, it is in North America, the Rocky Mountains, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Comancherνa.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Lennox House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arthur House (about 300 feet away); Shove Memorial Chapel (about 600 feet away); Palmer Hall (about 600 feet away); tavachi : sun (about 800 feet away); Charles Leaming Tutt Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cutler Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Montgomery Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colorado Springs.
Regarding Jackson House. Colorado State Register of Historic Properties, Site № 5EP.3482.
From the Colorado State Register Nomination prepared by R. Laurie Simmons and Thomas H. Simmons, 8/27/1999:
Jackson House is associated with the development of north Colorado Springs influenced by the Cripple Creek mining boom, having been completed in 1900 as a private residence for wealthy attorney and mining investor W. S. Montgomery.
Jackson House is a massive, two-and-a-half-story residence. The Castle Rock ignimbrite walls are laid in alternating, coursed, narrow and wide rows with beaded mortar joints, andthe windows and doors have stone lintels. There is a stone foundation and a stone water table with beveled top with squared edge. The building represents the Colonial Revival style with French influences, embodied in its hipped roof, the dormers with exaggerated arched pediments, the garland ornaments on the tower and porte cochθre, and the heavily elaborated interior entrance with elliptical fanlight.
Jackson House is significant for its associations with social history and with education. In the field of social history, Jackson House is important for its association with the development of the neighborhood east of the college campus as a residential area for wealthy Colorado Springs residents, particularly those who made millions in Cripple Creek and those who were benefactors of the college. The building is significant in the area of education, having been donated to the college in 1914 to function as its administration building, and later serving as a dormitory, providing classrooms, and containing college offices. A notable association during World War II was the buildings occupation by the Navy Marine training program stationedat Colorado College.Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, August 17, 20243. Jackson House (southwest elevation)From the Colorado State Register Nomination: A two-story circular stone tower with belicast roof with overhanging eaves is located at the southwest corner. The southwest tower has a wood frieze ornamented with garlands. The upper windows of the tower are double-hung sash, with narrow transoms, and the first story windows are double-hung sash. The windows have curved glass. The front porch wraps around the tower on the south.
Willis S. Montgomery was one of a number of men who became a millionaire as a result of investments in Cripple Creek. Montgomery acquired a building permit for a $50,000 residence on North Nevada Avenue facing the college campus in 1898. Montgomery hired local architect Augustus I. Smith to design his new residence. The Montgomerys lived in the house for only three years after its completion. There are some reports that the cost of construction (which reportedly totaled $75,000) and upkeep for the building led to later financial difficulties for the Montgomerys.
The house had a succession of owners over the next few years. By 1904-05, Giles B. and Melzena R. Bosworth were listed as occupants of the residence, and Frank Avery was listed in the 1906 directory. The following year, the house was identified as vacant. John W. Springer of Denver acquired the house after it had been standing vacant. He sold the property to Judson M. Bemis, who refurbished the house, and donated it to Colorado College in May 1914 to be used as its administration building.
In 1937, the Admin Building was converted to a mens residence halland was renamed Jackson House, in honor of William Sharpless Jackson, Sr., who had served on the college Board of Trustees from its founding in 1874 until 1917.Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, August 17, 20244. Jackson House (northwest elevation)From the Colorado State Register Nomination: The northwest tower has a semi-octagonal roof with overhanging eaves and double-hung sash windows on the first and second stories, as well as rectangular, single-light basement windows.
During World War II, Colorado College was the site of a Navy-Marine V-12 training unit, one of three institutions in the Rocky Mountain region to be selected for such a program. In 1943, Jackson House and five other facilities at the college were converted to meet Navy housing requirements. The Navy outfitted the house with double-deck bunk beds, small wooden chests, and desks. Trainees in the program received military training in addition to taking academic classes provided by the college.
In 1946, Jackson House was reconverted to a mens dormitory to help meet the overcrowding at the college which ensued after the end of World War II. The building was closed as a dormitory in 1958. In 1960, the college spent about $25,000 remodeling the house into seven offices and ten classrooms, providing space for eleven professors and their students. At this time, the interior and exterior of the building were remodeled, and it received a new roof, as well as upgraded plumbing and lighting.In 1962, Jackson House was the site of evening classes for the University of Colorado Extension program. In 1969, Jackson House once again became a dormitory, housing both men and women.Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, August 17, 20245. Jackson House (northeast elevation)From the Colorado State Register Nomination: The north wall of the main block of the house is dominated by a large, projecting, two-and-a-half story pavilion topped by an exaggerated arched pediment with central keystone. The pediment projects out slightly above the porch below and is elaborated with molded coping with dentil trim which springs from corner pilasters with capitals. There is a central, two-light, roundel in the face of the pediment, and the pediment is clad with shingles. The second story of the pavilion is frame and there are two double-hung sash windows with wooden tracery in the upper sashes. The windows are topped by blind arches ornamented with crossed horns.
Jackson House inspired the creation of the concept of theme houses on the Colorado College campus in the 1970s. Rooms in the residence had originally been distributed on the basis of a lottery. In 1976, the college awarded the entire house to a group whose intellectual and social life was organized around a central theme which was designed to foster a sense of community.
Also see . . . Colorado College Historic Walking Tour: Jackson House.
Excerpt: The construction of Montgomery's residence drew much local attention, as well as the notice of the Denver Times, which reported it was "one of the handsomest residences ever erected" in Colorado Springs. While the initial building permit was for $50,000, final construction costs reportedly reached $75,000. When completed in 1900, the house was described as "among the most notable" of the residences built during the prosperous period at the turn of the century. The Castle Rock limestone residence(Submitted on March 6, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)was described as being designed in a "colonial style, with modifications." The lavish interior featured a spacious hall with beams of carved Flemish oak "in Elizabethan style," a library and music room, a den, a formal drawing room, and a "massive oak staircase" with carved balustrade and newel post crowned by a Spanish figure. A bowling alley and billiard hall provided recreational opportunities in the basement.Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, August 17, 20246. Jackson House (west/front elevation)From the Colorado State Register Nomination: Jackson House has a hipped roof with center widows walk. The front has a projecting, one-story, full-width, flat roof, wrap-around porch. The base of the porch is composed of large blocks of evenly coursed rock-faced stone and has large arched vents with metal grilles and stone latticework on the southwest. The central main entrance is accessed by wide concrete stairs with curving stone podia and a central metal pipe railing. The porch floor on either side of the entrance area is wood, and there is a stone threshold. There is a slightly projecting, central, stone entrance bay with double doors with large rectangular lights. Windows on the sides of the entrance bay have curved glass. A low stone wall encloses the front yard on the west and north.Jackson House was listed in the State Register of Historic Properties in 1999 in recognition of its significant history. At that time, some of its original exterior architectural features were missing due to deterioration. With assistance from a State Historical Fund grant, the missing exterior elements were completely restored in 2003 and 2004.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 6, 2025. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 6, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.





