Cameron in Calhoun County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jericho Methodist Church
Mile And A Half East
Bishop Francis Asbury stopped in this region in 1801 and 1803. About 1811, a congregation was organized and by 1815 Jericho Meeting House was standing on land given by Jacob Felkel. The present building there was apparently erected before 1850. A low partition separating the men and women and a slave gallery were removed in 1890 and a porch was added. Two annexes were built later. (Marker Number 9-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher ⛪ series list.
Location. 33° 31.874′ N, 80° 41.225′ W. Marker is in Cameron, South Carolina, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Old State Road (U.S. 176) and Jericho Road (State Highway 9-26), on the right when traveling north on Old State Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron SC 29030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Shady Grove Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. White House Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 5.9 miles away); St. Matthew's Lutheran Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Shiloh A.M.E. Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Snider House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Honoring a Pioneer Woman (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
Also see . . .
1. Jericho United Methodist Church Cemetery. Jericho United Methodist Church Cemetery photo gallery. (Submitted on February 9, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Francis Asbury. Francis Asbury (August 20, 1745 – March 31, 1816) was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. (Submitted on February 9, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,074 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on April 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.