Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church

 
 
Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, January 17, 2010
1. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W.G. Barron and R.B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C.M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent church building until 1906 when the structure on this site was erected and the name St. Cyprian's was adopted. The building was bricked in 1929 and later gutted by fire, after which the congregation moved to another location. St. Cyprian's original sanctuary stands today as Lufkin's oldest existing church building.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8721.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
 
Location. 31° 20.56′ N, 94° 43.56′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street and Paul Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 N Second St, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. Angelina (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (about 600 feet away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. ¼ mile away); Mantooth Farm (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kerr's Inc. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 0.3 miles away); Calder (Cotton) Square (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
More about this marker. The building now houses the Museum of East Texas.
 
Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, January 25, 2010
2. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,471 times since then and 181 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=26886

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024