Redding in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Putnam Memorial State Park
Gen. Washington positioned his troops in a crescent shape around the British army in NY City. The troops camped in Redding were used to protect the Long Island Sound, the Hudson Highlands and, especially, the military stores at the Army Supply Depot in Danbury.
This camp housed Brig. General Poor’s New Hampshire Brigade and the 2nd Canadian Regiment under Col. Moses Hazen. The camp was built to hold over 1300 troops. The other two camps held the 1st and 2nd Connecticut Brigades (which contained eight regiments).
Erected 2009 by Friends & Neighbors of Putnam Park. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 41° 20.305′ N, 73° 22.901′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Redding CT 06896, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Guardhouse (a few steps from this marker); “Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck” (a few steps from this marker); Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion) (within shouting distance of this marker); Israel Putnam (within shouting distance of this marker); Lake McDougall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial Monument (about 300 feet away); Company Street (Fireback Row) (about 400 feet away); Cemetery / Command Officer’s Quarters (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redding.
Regarding Putnam Memorial State Park. Putnam Memorial State Park is bisected by Putnam Park Road, CT Route 58. The recreational side, with Lake Putnam is on the east. The historical side is west of the road.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Putnam Memorial State Park, “Connecticut’s Valley Forge” by the Friends & Neighbors of P. (Submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,283 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 25, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.