Near Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Baxter School
Photographed by James Hulse, March 17, 2025
1. Baxter School Marker
Inscription.
Baxter School. . Settlers began occupying the Baxter area in 1850. At first, schools were informal and community-based, although the Texas Legislature attempted several times to ignite a public school system. In 1876, the Alligator Public School began classes. Early teachers included George G. Hendricks, J.A. Jennings, J.T. Ray and Sallie Crumpler. Pilgrim's Rest School #19 and the Oak Grove School #2 began operations in 1891. These schools consolidated in 1906 with Baxter school in 1907, Willie and Annie Johnson donated one acre of land to the cause of education and the Woodmen of the World Fraternal Order. A two-story frame building was constructed on the site. The Woodmen of the World building housed the Baxter School for several years until a storm destroyed the structure in 1914. W.R. Thomas served as school teacher under trustees H.T. Reynolds, W.C. Frizzell and W.E. Johnson., In 1915, W.E. and Annie Johnson sold one acre to the school trustees directly behind the original acre. The cornerstone for the new school building was laid on Oct 1, 1915, by Camp No. 1408 of the Woodmen of the World. Frank J. Davis served as teacher from 1916-28, and later county school superintendent and three terms as Henderson County Judge. Classes were taught in the Baxter Schoolhouse until 1943, when Baxter School District consolidated into the Athens School District. After consolidation, the schoolhouse was used by the community for meetings, family reunions, quilting bees and a voting location. In 1951, Athens ISD sold the property to the Baxter Home Demonstration Club. In 1997, the property was deeded to the Baxter Community Center. Repairs and modernizations have occurred throughout its history. The property continues to bring the people of Baxter together
Settlers began occupying the Baxter area in 1850. At first, schools were informal and community-based, although the Texas Legislature attempted several times to ignite a public school system. In 1876, the Alligator Public School began classes. Early teachers included George G. Hendricks, J.A. Jennings, J.T. Ray and Sallie Crumpler. Pilgrim's Rest School #19 and the Oak Grove School #2 began operations in 1891. These schools consolidated in 1906 with Baxter school in 1907, Willie and Annie Johnson donated one acre of land to the cause of education and the Woodmen of the World Fraternal Order. A two-story frame building was constructed on the site. The Woodmen of the World building housed the Baxter School for several years until a storm destroyed the structure in 1914. W.R. Thomas served as school teacher under trustees H.T. Reynolds, W.C. Frizzell and W.E. Johnson.
In 1915, W.E. and Annie Johnson sold one acre to the school trustees directly behind the original acre. The cornerstone for the new school building was laid on Oct 1, 1915, by Camp No. 1408 of the Woodmen of the World. Frank J. Davis served as teacher from 1916-28, and later county school superintendent and three terms as Henderson County Judge. Classes were taught in the Baxter Schoolhouse until 1943, when Baxter School District consolidated into the Athens School District. After consolidation, the schoolhouse was used by the community for meetings, family reunions, quilting bees and a voting location. In 1951, Athens ISD sold the property to the Baxter Home Demonstration Club. In 1997, the property was deeded to the Baxter Community Center. Repairs and modernizations have occurred throughout its history. The property continues to bring the people of Baxter together
Erected 2022 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23627.)
Topics.
Click or scan to see this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 32° 9.917′ N, 95° 45.017′ W. Marker is near Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. It is on Farm to Market Road 804 0.1 miles south of County Road 7900, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located along the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6331 FM804, Athens TX 75752, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2025. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 325 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.