Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Cumberland in Hancock County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Rockyside
⎯⎯⎯
The Black Stone Church

 
 
Rockyside side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Craig Doda, March 29, 2025
1. Rockyside side of marker
Inscription.
Rockyside. Rockyside was a community of mining and brick making families who lived on the steep hillside just north of New Cumberland along what was then Route 66. The early brickyards attracted workers, many of them Poles or Slavs, who came to work in the clay mines and the brickyards. In 1850, a large wooden barracks was built on the hillside to house 200 single men who worked nearby. As more brickyards attracted even more workers, the Mack Company built a series of single and duplex family homes. There were also spring houses, outhouses, and small gardens for the families to use. In 1904, a Catholic Church was built, and a schoolhouse soon followed. Three teachers taught students in all eight grades. The school closed in 1938, and students were sent to school in nearby New Cumberland. During the 1930's and 40's, families began to move into town, and by 1950, the hillside was abandoned. The area once known as Rockyside was purchased by the department of highways, and in 1959 the community and its structures were plowed under in order to build a new highway. Route 66 was gone forever, replaced by Route 2. The hillside
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
is now covered with trees and briar bushes which conceal several partial brick remains of homes and the old school. What was once a small, close-knit community is gone forever, but it remains an important part of local history.

The Black Stone Church. Built in 1887 and dedicated in 1889, the Presbyterian Church replaced the former brick church building New Cumberland that was built in 1855. The new building was made of native white sandstone from Luke's stone quarry on nearby Hardin's Run Road. Its stones were fitted together by hand so well that they required very little mortar. The first pastor, Reverend Smith F. Grier, served the congregation for 40 years. Between 1904 and 1908, a pipe organ was installed, assisted by a gift from Andrew Carnegie. In 1930, a stone manse was added next to the church, and in 1938 a basement was added which provided a kitchen and meeting rooms. The upstairs auditorium was converted into classrooms in 1962, the same year that the basement was remodeled into Fellowship Hall. Carillon Chimes were added in 1973 and were dedicated to Dr. Swaney, whose trust fund helps to support the church. In honor of
The Black Stone Church side of marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Craig Doda, March 29, 2025
2. The Black Stone Church side of marker
its first pastor, the church dedicated the Smith F. Grier Museum in 1998 to preserve the history of the church for future generations. The church remains a vital part of the community and celebrates its heritage every spring with an outdoor concert and a "calling of the clans.' It is a member of the Upper Ohio Valley Presbytery and the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and has welcomed twenty-one different pastors over its more than one hundred year history. The original sandstone has been blackened by time, but the beautiful church remains an important local landmark.
 
Erected by New Cumberland Community Projects Woman's Club Of New Cumberland.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceReligion & Religious Structures. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 40° 29.915′ N, 80° 36.658′ W. Marker is in New Cumberland, West Virginia, in Hancock County. It is on South River Avenue east of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 S River Ave, New Cumberland WV 26047, United States
Arthur Jack Watson Overlook Pavilion image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Craig Doda, March 29, 2025
3. Arthur Jack Watson Overlook Pavilion
of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Northern Panhandle. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, in the Ohio River Valley, and in Appalachia. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Gravel Hill Academy (here, next to this marker); Contested County Seat (here, next to this marker); Captain John Porter / Chelsea China Company (a few steps from this marker); Old Town (a few steps from this marker); Flood of 1936 / Early Indians (a few steps from this marker); Brickyard Bend (within shouting distance of this marker); New Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); First Gas Well (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Cumberland.
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Craig Doda, March 29, 2025
4. First Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2025. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 1, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
m=269275

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 2, 2026