Ratcliff in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sold 1901 to Louisiana & Texas Lumber Co., then to Central Coal & Coke Co., sawmill became a vast complex. Running until 1917, when it closed. Turning to logging or other enterprises, the community survived, although many residents moved away. The Ratcliff schools consolidated (1955) with Kennard.
Erected 1972 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7016.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 31° 23.498′ N, 95° 8.385′ W. Marker is in Ratcliff, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on State Highway 7 close to Farm to Market Road 227, on the left when traveling west. About 50 ft before F.M. 227, across from gas Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ratcliff TX 75858, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. ¼ mile away); Four C Mill (approx. half a mile away); Hagerville Community (approx. 2 miles away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 2 miles away); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Kennard (approx. 3.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pine Springs Campground (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ratcliff.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,088 times since then and 100 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 29, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A full view photo of the marker. • A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?