Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church
Elder William Hubbard was the first pastor of this church and served during the War Between the States, 1861-1865. Elder J.J. Davis was pastor after the war until his death in 1875. Other pastors include: Elders Elijah Blackshear, W. T. Everett, R. H. Jennings, S. H. Whatley, A. R. Crumpton, V. F. Agan, J. H. Chapman, George R. Daniels, W. E. Price, F. Arthur DeVane. Deacons include Joel Harrell, Wm. Jennings, J. E. Boseman, J. J. Adams, M. E. Jennings, R. S. Everett, W. R. Garrett, George D. Jennings, J. L. Hudson. Clerks, since organization, have been William Hubbard, J. E. Boseman, J. H. Pierce, R. H. Jennings, J. L. Adams, Miles Blackshear, James H. Kennedy, Floyd Jennings, J. B. Brim, R. E. L. Hammond, George D. Jennings, Mrs. Marian J. Agan, Mrs. Myra Daniels, and Henry S. Jennings.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 28, 1912.
Location. 31° 46.399′ N, 84° 25.357′ W. Marker is in Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is on East Lee Street (Georgia Route 32) 0 miles east of Old Mill Road S.E., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 1.3 miles away); To The Memory of James Mathews Griggs (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 1.4 miles away); Terrell County (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 5.2 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.3 miles away); 1827 Site of Chenube Indian Village (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson.
Regarding Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church. The church is built of South Georgia cypress on one piece heart-pine sills that run full length of the building.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,266 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on September 11, 2022, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.