Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morgan in Calhoun County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Calhoun County

 
 
Calhoun County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Calhoun County Marker
Inscription.  This county, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 20, 1854, is named for John C. Calhoun, famed South Carolina Statesman, who resigned as Vice President of the United States in 1832 to return to the U.S. Senate and defend States Rights in debates with Daniel Webster. He served as Secretary of War (1817-25) and Secretary of State (1844-45).

First Calhoun County Officers were: Sheriff Wm. H. Pierce, Clerk Joseph W. Roberts, Ordinary Wm. S. Harris, Tax Receiver H.W. Wilkins, Tax Collector Kinion Strickland, Surveyor Charles Stewart and Coroner Amos Forehand.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 019-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 20, 1810.
 
Location. 31° 32.243′ N, 84° 35.979′ W. Marker is in Morgan, Georgia, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street (Georgia Route 45) and South Bermuda Street (County Route 153), on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. The marker stands on the south side of the Calhoun Courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morgan GA 39866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hernando de Soto in Georgia (approx. 10.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Milford Baptist Church Memorial (approx. 11 miles away); Battle of Chickasawachee Swamp (approx. 12.4 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 14˝ miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 14.6 miles away).
 
Calhoun County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
2. Calhoun County Courthouse
This courthouse, built in 1935 for $30,000, is the third on the site, the previous two having been destroyed by fires.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,057 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27052

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024