Bakersfield in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Only the most impoverished people sought treatment at a hospital.
The first county hospital in Bakersfield opened its doors to the public in January 1875. The hospital was constructed at 13th and G Streets for $1,400.00. It was a plain one-story frame building with the “most primitive facilities for the treatment of patients.”
During the late 1800s, the right to feed, nurse, and even bury patients was awarded to the lowest bidder. As a result, care was often substandard.
The hospital located on G Street was in use for 20 years. It was vacated when a new hospital on Oak Street was completed in 1895.
This building, originally located on Brundage Lane in Bakersfield, was the residence of Judge George Flournoy. David and Mabel Welch donated the building in 1976.
Erected by Kern County Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1875.
Location. 35° 23.604′ N, 119° 1.34′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield CA 93301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dust Bowl Housing Units (within shouting distance of this marker); Cook Wagon (within shouting distance of this marker); Standard End Pumping Unit (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Episcopal Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonora Service Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Havilah Courier (within shouting distance of this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bakersfield.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker placed at the original site.
1. The "Hospital" building was moved to Pioneer Village -- but there is another marker
It is true that the one story hospital from 1875 was moved to the Kern County Museum's "Pioneer Village" by the K.C. Museum folks. But, there is another marker at the ORIGINAL SITE (which is now in a little park, inside the
— Submitted May 9, 2015, by Alan Price or Jayne Hotchkiss-Price of Caliente, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,480 times since then and 198 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 31, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on September 19, 2015, by Alan Price or Jayne Hotchkiss-Price of Caliente, California.