Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Historical Marker
After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the "Toledo War," a bloodless boundary conflict with Michigan, was resolved by Congress in 1836. Settlers were attracted by the commercial potential of the Maumee River, called "Miami of the Lake," and later the Miami-Erie Canal.
[Reverse Side of Marker, Facing North]:"Toledo"
With water and rail transportation, Toledo developed into a major trade center and world port. Before 1900, Toledo manufactured large numbers of bicycles and wagons. In this century, Toledo has become a major automotive manufacturing center. The glass industry was attracted to Toledo in 1888 by the discovery of natural gas south of the city. Since then, Toledo has been widely known as "Glass Capital of the World."
Erected 1987 by Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-48.)
Topics and series. This Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 41° 39.291′ N, 83° 32.093′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Road and North Huron Street, in the median on Jackson Road. This historical marker is located on the median strip, on the west side of the intersection, in front of the multi-storied building that houses Toledo's municipal government. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Project Blue Light (within shouting distance of this marker); James A. Rhodes Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blade (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Toledo and Lucas County World War Memorial Tree (about 500 feet away); Combat Veterans Wounded Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Lucas County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Engine House Number One / Neptune Engine No. 1Lucas County Catholic War Veterans Memorial Flagpole (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 31, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,328 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.