Stockton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stockton Borough School
Stockton Borough School remains the oldest continously operating public school on its original site in New Jersey. In 1827, this property was set aside for the construction of a school house. The original school building, constructed in 1832, was replaced by the current building in 1872. Designed by local Lambertville architect James Bird in the Gothic style, the District 97 School House incorporates material recycled from the previous building, including the 1832 date stone. The school was expanded in 1884. With funding from the Garden State Historical Preservation Trust Fund and Stockton Borough residents, an exterior restoration was completed and the School was rededicated on September 17, 2008.
Erected 2010 by Borough of Stockton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1876.
Location. 40° 24.31′ N, 74° 58.513′ W. Marker is in Stockton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on South Main Street (New Jersey Route 29), on the right when traveling northTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 South Main Street, Stockton NJ 08559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stockton School (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockton Inn (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bridge Street (about 700 feet away); Stockton Railroad (about 700 feet away); Belvidere Delaware Railroad (about 700 feet away); Centre Bridge / Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centre Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
Also see . . . Stockton Borough History. Hunterdon County NY website entry (Submitted on October 31, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.