Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Allen in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Coal Pit School

 
 
Coal Pit School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 30, 2010
1. Coal Pit School Marker
Inscription.  The African-American school most likely took its name from the nearby Springfield Coal Pits. The one room school established about 1905 was once supervised by Virginia Estelle Randolph, the eminent black educator. It had forty-six students by 1913. The school also served as a meeting hall for the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church up until 1918. In 1955, the pupils moved to the larger Vandervall School (now Pemberton Elementary). The County of Henrico purchased the property, and in 1976 Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church established a preschool program here for low-income families.
 
Erected by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-15.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. 37° 39.835′ N, 77° 32.614′ W. Marker is in Glen Allen, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Francistown Road, 0.1 miles north of Castle Point Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5101 Francistown Road, Glen Allen VA 23060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Coal Pit School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 30, 2010
2. Coal Pit School Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Echo Lake (approx. Ύ mile away); Maybelle Carter Family Residence (approx. 1.2 miles away); Courtney Road Service Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Courtney Road Service Station (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sheppard and Baker's Grant (approx. 1½ miles away); Hanover County / Henrico County (approx. 1½ miles away); Meadow Farm (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Meadow Farm (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Allen.
 
Also see . . .  Coal Pit Learning Center. (Submitted on February 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
 
Coal Pit Learning Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, January 30, 2010
3. Coal Pit Learning Center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,349 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27100

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 9, 2022