Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manchester State Forest, Pinewood in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  (Front text)
By Act of Assembly St. Mark's Parish was established in 1757. The first Church stood at Halfway Swamp. Others were built near Williamsburg-Sumter Line, near Rimini, and near this site. These four churches were abandoned or burned. Soldiers and Patriots of the Revolution were members of St. Mark's Parish.
(Reverse text)
The present church, designed by Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, of Charleston, was built of brick made of local clay, on land given by R.C. Richardson and R.I. Manning. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Thos. F. Davis, Feb., 1854, and the church consecrated March, 1855. Six Governors and many noted citizens worshipped here.
 
Erected 1952 by Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-6.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 4, 1855.
 
Location. 33° 44.844′ N, 80° 30.721′ W. Marker is in Manchester State Forest, Pinewood, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
51 and St Marks Church Road on County Road 51. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinewood SC 29125, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Richard Richardson (within shouting distance of this marker); Millford Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. David Dubose Gaillard (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of Manchester (approx. 6.4 miles away); Encounter at Halfway Swamp / Site of Original St. Mark's Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Halfway Swamp: (approx. 6.7 miles away); Enon Baptist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Congaree River Ferries (approx. 7.6 miles away).
 
Regarding St. Mark's Episcopal Church. (St. Mark’s Church) St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, built in 1855, is significant for its architectural style representative of the Gothic Revival Style prevalent in the mid-nineteenth century and for its association with individuals prominent in the history of South Carolina, including six governors of the State. Established by the South Carolina House of Commons in 1757, St. Mark’s Parish and its parish church were for many years significant in the settlement and development of this area. The present church is the fourth structure to serve as St. Mark’s Church. The original church was erected ca. 1767, but was
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
2. St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker, reverse side
destroyed by the British during the Revolution. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on February 25, 1854. It was designed by the well-known Charleston architects, Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1978. (S.C. Dept. of Archives and History)
 
Also see . . .  South Carolina Department of Archives and History entry for St. Mark's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on February 4, 2010.)
 
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
3. St. Mark's Episcopal Church Marker
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
4. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
5. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
6. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
7. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
National Register of Historic Places: St. Mark's Church ** (added 1978 - Building - #78002530) •
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa 1978
8. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, 1978
9. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
S.C.Dept. of Archives and History, 1978
10. St. Mark's Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,418 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on February 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27134

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024