Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint James in Phelps County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

St. James Chapel

 
 
St. James Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 5, 2025
1. St. James Chapel Marker
Inscription. This church building was originally built as the St. James Chapel dedicated July 5, 1868

Purchased by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South February 14, 1880
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 5, 1868.
 
Location. 37° 59.651′ N, 91° 36.823′ W. Marker is in Saint James, Missouri, in Phelps County. It is at the intersection of West Church Street and South Meramec Street, on the left when traveling west on West Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 W Church St, Saint James MO 65559, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in South-Central Missouri. It is also in the American Ozarks, in the Lewis & Clark Corridor, and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Purchase, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dunmoor Mansion (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. James Veterans Home Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Address by President Abraham Lincoln (approx. Ύ mile away); In Honor of American Korean War Veterans (approx. 0.9 miles away); The White Oak of St. James (approx. 0.9 miles away); Maramec Community Cemetery (approx. 4½ miles away).
 
Regarding St. James Chapel. Excerpts from the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the chapel:
The St. James United Methodist Church sanctuary building was built in 1868. The first names associated with this building were three men who composed a Board of Trustees: Azro Emory, James R. Bowman and Edward J. Seymour, leading men of the community. It was to these men as the “Trustees of the St. James Chapel” that William and Lucy James deeded the land for the building of the chapel. … A solicitation of subscriptions from community
St. James Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 6, 2025
2. St. James Chapel Marker
citizens was the means taken to finance this community chapel, a non-denominational house of worship.…

A little over a year following the dedication, the trustees announced a public auction to sell the building as the debts had not been paid off. The announcement of this auction in the Rolla Herald of Thursday, August 12, 1869, indicated that the Sept. 1 sale was necessary because only $4,280 of the $6,280 cost had been subscribed. … The following brief statement was carried in the September 9th issue of the Rolla Herald: “The St. James Chapel was sold last week at public auction for $6,100; Wm. James, esq. was purchaser.” …

It can be assumed that during the time James owned the Chapel, it was available to the community. But toward the end of that decade, Mr. James suffered financial reverses and his holdings were largely liquidated. And so it was that on October 23, 1879, Azro Emory (one of the original trustees) and his wife Terisa – names inscribed on one of the stained glass windows – purchased the St. James Chapel at a bankruptcy sale. They held it in their name until arrangements could be made placing it in the ownership of the
Paid Advertisement
Methodist congregation to which they belonged.

 
Also see . . .  St. Jamess Chapel (PDF). National Register nomination for the church, which was listed in 1983. (Prepared by Richard L. Clemans and James M. Denny; via Missouri State Parks) (Submitted on April 27, 2025, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2025. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2025, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2025, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
m=271420

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2026