Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
1890 Seattle Fire Department Bell
Purchased in 1890 from the Gardiner C. Campbell & Sons Centennial Bell and Iron Works in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the 5,000 pound bell hung above Seattle's first professional fire station at Seventh Avenue and Columbia Street downtown. Campbell & Sons made similar bells for communities around the United States.
Electronic communications soon made the bell obsolete, and it was taken down in 1919. The fire station lasted until the early 1960s when it was demolished to make way for Interstate 5. The bell came to MOHAI in time for the museum's grand opening in 1952, and was rededicated June 6, 2002.
Erected 2002 by Seattle Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI). (Marker Number 1919.551.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkGovernment & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list.
Location. 47° 38.733′ N, 122° 18.047′ W. Marker is in Seattle, Washington, in King County. Marker can be reached from 24th Avenue East. In the parking lot of Seattle's MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seattle WA 98112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Shell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Training Station Seattle (approx. half a mile away); Scion of the Washington Elm (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.9 miles away); Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); United Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); The Reverend George Whitworth Grave (approx. 1.1 miles away); Boeing's Lake Union Seaplane Hangar (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
Also see . . . Video - - "The Great Seattle Fire" - - (Winner - National History Day 2007) -- Courtesy:: YouTube. (Submitted on April 9, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by Kathy Ann Bugajsky of Seattle, Washington. This page has been viewed 1,559 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Kathy Ann Bugajsky of Seattle, Washington. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.