Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1851 † 1891

 
 
1851-1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. 1851-1891 Marker
Inscription.  Site of Tampa's First Church Building and first frame ecclesiastical House of Worship erected in the area of all South Florida. Built by the Methodist congregation under the superintendency of Rev. L. G. Lesley. General T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson contributed $5 in gold to its building fund; and General O.O. Howard, head of the Freedmen's Bureau, Founder of Howard College, Washington, D.C. was converted therein.
 
Erected 1964 by The Hillborough County Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 27° 56.922′ N, 82° 27.319′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of Kennedy Boulevard and Morgan Street, on the right when traveling west on Kennedy Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hillsborough Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II (within shouting distance of this marker); Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial I
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fitzgerald Kennedy (about 400 feet away); Emiliano Jose (E.J.) Salcines (about 500 feet away); First Lt. Baldomero Lopez (about 500 feet away); War Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
1851 † 1891 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 9, 2010
2. 1851 † 1891 Marker
Presently there is no building here on this corner area
1851 † 1891 Marker looking south toward intersection of Morgan St and Kennedy Blvd. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, February 19, 2017
3. 1851 † 1891 Marker looking south toward intersection of Morgan St and Kennedy Blvd.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,367 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on April 28, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27199

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024