Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Zion Episcopal Church

Erected 1848

 
 
Zion Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
1. Zion Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The edifice has been spared modernization and is a perfect replica of a typical English rural parish church of the Tudor-Gothic period.

The altar, communion rail, lectern-pulpit, and prayer desk are handmade of native walnut. The entire structure is put together with wooden pegs and handmade iron nails. The pipe organ, installed in 1850, and in continuous use since that time, is a Pilcher and still is operated by hand pump.

The choir loft at the east end of the structure opposite the sanctuary, above the narthex, is flanked on each side by a gallery, where slaves worshipped prior to the conflict which many believed temporarily destroyed Southern culture.

Zion Church had its incipience from the missionary zeal of the Rev. Richard Johnson and the financial assistance of South Carolina rice planters.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansArchitecture
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Arts, Letters, MusicChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 32° 40.503′ N, 84° 32.394′ W. Marker is in Talbotton, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Washington Avenue (U.S. 80) 0 miles south of Polk Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bartram Trail (a few steps from this marker); Elizabeth Evelyn Wright (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Talbotton United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (about 700 feet away); Talbot County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talbotton.
 
More about this marker. The marker stands to the west of the church, which faces east.
 
Zion Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
2. Zion Episcopal Church Marker
The marker and the rear of the Zion Episcopal Church.
Zion Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
3. Zion Episcopal Church
From the front; the marker stands at the rear of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,088 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024