Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wedgefield in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wedgefield Presbyterian Church

 
 
Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  (Front text)
This church was founded in 1881 with assistance from Harmony Presbytery. It had 12 charter members, with elders Cornelius McLaurin and James Caldwell and deacons Dr. Henry J. McLaurin and Edward H. McCutchen. Rev. H.B. Garris, Wedgefield’s first minister, preached two Sundays a month in an old school nearby.
(Reverse text)
The church sanctuary, often called “the church in the pines,” was completed in 1882 on land donated for the church and cemetery by James H. Aycock. Rev. Garris, the first permanent minister, was installed by Harmony Presbytery in 1885. Rev. Perry H. Biddle had the longest pastorate, serving 1947-1968.
 
Erected 2006 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 43-35.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 33° 53.496′ N, 80° 30.983′ W. Marker is in Wedgefield, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of Presbyterian Drive and South Carolina Highway 43-420, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling south on Presbyterian Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wedgefield SC 29168, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Manchester (approx. 3.6 miles away); William Tennent (approx. 3.7 miles away); Early Charleston Road (approx. 3.8 miles away); Battle of Stateburg (approx. 4 miles away); Joel Roberts Poinsett (approx. 4.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg / Holy Cross Churchyard (approx. 4.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
2. Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker, reverse side
Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
3. Wedgefield Presbyterian Church Marker
seen at the intersection of Presbyterian Dr and State Road 43-420
Wedgefield Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
4. Wedgefield Presbyterian Church
Wedgefield Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 19, 2010
5. Wedgefield Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,058 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27238

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024