Near McConnellsburg in Fulton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Last Confederate Bivouac
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1848.
Location. 39° 55.229′ N, 78° 0.382′ W. Marker is near McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Great Cove Road (U.S. 522) and Confederate Lane, on the right when traveling south on Great Cove Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Great Cove Road, Mc Connellsburg PA 17233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Changing Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Changing Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); Traveling the Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fulton County Fulton County Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Fulton County World War II, Korea, and Vietnam Memorial (approx. one mile away); Fulton County War on Terrorism Memorial (approx. one mile away); Fulton County Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnellsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Report by Brig Gen Johnson. (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Bradley Tyler Johnson. (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
1. Wording on marker has been changed.
The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has replaced the text, in May, 2021, on two markers with significant revisions that view Confederate milestones through a more critical lens. This was done not without some protests.
The text on this marker now reads:
A Confederate force under General Bradley T. Johnson camped here July 31, 1864, after raiding and burning Chambersburg. They were the last Confederates to camp on Pennsylvania soil. General William W. Averell’s Union cavalry pursued Johnson’s and McCausland’s brigades and routed the Confederates at the Battle of Moorefield in WV on August 7, 1864. That victory marked the beginning of Union dominance in the Shenandoah Valley.
— Submitted December 15, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 8,491 times since then and 521 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo and wide shot of replaced text marker. Add as a new marker. • Can you help?