Greenfield in Hancock County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Birthplace of Democratic Party Rooster
The use of the rooster as a Democratic party symbol originated in Greenfield in the 1840 campaign. The rooster was later adopted by the state and national Democratic parties.
Erected 1966 by Indiana Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 30.1966.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 39° 47.158′ N, 85° 45.381′ W. Marker is in Greenfield, Indiana, in Hancock County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 40) west of Apple Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at the edge of Riley Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenfield IN 46140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harker Rock Garden Rocks (within shouting distance of this Hancock County, Indiana (approx. 0.7 miles away); James Whitcomb Riley (approx. 0.7 miles away); Information on the Move (approx. 0.7 miles away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenfield.
Also see . . . The Rooster: Its Origin as the Emblem of the Democratic Party. New River Notes website entry:
By John Fowler Mitchell, Jr., Associate Editor of the Journal of American History. Published in 1913. (Submitted on April 19, 2006.)
1. Crow, indeed!
And that's why we US Democrats in Argentina selected the Rooster as our emblem!
Thank you for the wonderful post.
— Submitted February 2, 2007, by Yanqui Mike of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 6,081 times since then and 164 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.