Delaware State University & East Dover Hundred in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William C. Jason Library
Delaware State University
| | Making our mark on the world | |
The William C. Jason Library is named in honor of Delaware State University's longest serving president. President Jason's tenure, from 1895 to 1923, was punctuated by expansive growth of both the student body and campus infrastructure. His achievement is fully appreciated with the recognition that, despite being a public school, financial support from Delaware State was initially insufficient.
In 1902 the Board of Trustees approved President Jason's request to publically raise $1,000 for campus improvements. The president's fundraising efforts took the form of a speaking tour that resulted in 700 pledges largely received from the African American community. While the pledges totaled $1,112, regrettably, only $533 was received.
The money was frugally applied to the construction of a chapel. In lieu of hiring laborers, the professors of the industrial arts program developed courses around the chapel's construction. Additionally, bricks from the slave quarters of the Loockerman plantation were recycled to lessen the cost of materials.
By the 1920's the perpetual pattern of college-wide growth required the chapel to be converted into a library. Further growth resulted in the construction of the modern library in 1975 and an addition in 1991. The early chapel structure, now known as the Thomasson Building, remains today and can be found at the end of the campus mall.
[Caption:]
In 1977 a mural by Bernard Felch was added. The artist was inspired by the iconography and symbolism of West-African culture. Confidence, wisdom, and learning are embodied here.
Erected by Delaware State University.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 39° 11.154′ N, 75° 32.501′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. It is in Delaware State University & East Dover Hundred. It can be reached from Frontage Road south of Loop Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 N Dupont Hwy, Dover DE 19901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: DSU Tuskegee Airmen Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Science Center North (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware State University Arboretum (about 600 feet away); Dr. Jerome Holland (about 700 feet away); Voyage to an Asteroid / Voyage to Halley's Comet (about 700 feet away); Voyage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Loockerman Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Loockerman Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2026. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2025, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2025, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

