Madoc in Centre Hastings in Hastings County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Founding of Madoc
Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergast formed the nucleus of a settlement here on Deer Creek. A post-office, Madoc, was established in 1836 and the hamlet grew gradually, stimulated by lumbering, farming and the opening of the Hastings Colonization Road (1854), which ran north from Madoc Township. Following the nearby discovery of gold-bearing quartz in 1866, it became a bustling centre, which by 1868 contained about 1,000 inhabitants and numerous industries, including a rock crushing mill. The boom declined after 1870, but the community continued to prosper from its agricultural and commercial activities. Madoc was incorporated as a Village by a County by-law of 1877.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 44° 30.355′ N, 77° 28.126′ W. Marker is in Centre Hastings, Ontario, in Hastings County. It is in Madoc. It is at the intersection of St. Lawrence Street East (County Highway 23) and Nelson Street, on the right when traveling north on St. Lawrence Street East. Marker is in Thomas Thompson Memorial Park, AKA Cenotaph Park. Touch for map. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 155 St Lawrence Street East, Centre Hastings ON K0K 2K0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Eastern Ontario and specifically in Southeastern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Thomas Thompson Memorial Park (here, next to this marker); War Memorial Cenotaph (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Vimy Ridge 100th Anniversary / 385th Army Cadet Corps (a few steps from this marker); John Weir Foote, V.C. 1904-1988 (a few steps from this marker); Historical Gauen Cemetery (approx. 11.8 kilometers away); Stewart Kerby (approx. 12.3 kilometers away); Thomas Emo Fleming (approx. 12.3 kilometers away); War Memorial (approx. 12.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centre Hastings.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2025. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2025, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2025, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.


