Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bertram

 
 
Bertram Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
1. Bertram Marker
Inscription.  

The town of Bertram was founded in 1882 when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad established a route through the area. The community was named for Rudolph Bertram, an Austin merchant who was instrumental in the development of the rail line. Many early residents were from the settlement of South Gabriel (2 mi. SE). Homes and commercial buildings of the pioneer settlers were moved here by brothers L. R. and J. W. Gray. The first store, also relocated from South Gabriel, was run by James E. Riley and Capt. Tom D. Vaughan.

Bertram developed as a marketing center for the area's diversified agricultural production. Continued growth came during World War I when the demand for farm and ranch products increased. By the 1920s it was the site of auto dealerships, four banks, a newspaper, a hotel and a variety of other businesses.

The economic depression of the 1930s, World War II and improved methods of transportation combined to limit Bertram's growth. Incorporated in the 1970s, the town remains an agricultural center. It serves as a reminder of the pioneers who settled here over a century ago. Many of their descendants still
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
live in the area and serve as leaders of the community.
 
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9698.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 30° 44.794′ N, 98° 3.721′ W. Marker is in Bertram, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on TX-29, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located in a rest area off of the east bound side of TX-29. About 1/3 mile west of FM-243. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The City of Bertram (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.V. "Pinky" Wilson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bertram Depot (approx. half a mile away); Bertram School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Village of South Gabriel (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Bryson Place (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Oatmeal Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
 
Also see . . .
1. Bertam, TX. (Submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. Wikipedia: Bertram, TX. (Submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Bertram Marker in context image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, November 18, 2011
2. Bertram Marker in context
Marker is located in road side park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 961 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on November 18, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27426

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024