Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bertram School

 
 
Bertram School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
1. Bertram School Marker
Inscription.  

When Bertram was founded in 1882 along the Austin & Northwestern Railroad, one of the first structures erected was a combination school, Sunday School, and Masonic Lodge hall. Rudolph Bertram, Austin Railroad executive for whom the town was named, contributed $50 for construction of the school. The frame building was enlarged as the community grew. By 1908, however, new facilities were needed for the 264 students.

In May 1909, Bertram voters approved incorporation as an independent school district and construction of a new school building. This 2-story red brick structure was erected on property purchased from T. D. Vaughn. Designed by architect George Endress and built by contractor M. L. Langford, it opened in the fall of 1909 with J. N. Matthews as the first principal. Bertram was then in the midst of a cotton-growing boom, and students often missed the beginning of school to help in the fields.

As the enrollment increased, sports and other extracurricular activities were introduced. A separate high school was erected in 1925 and a gymnasium in 1948. Over a period of years, several smaller county schools transferred
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
their students to Bertram. In 1970 Bertram schools merged with the Burnet district.
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9699.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1909.
 
Location. 30° 44.812′ N, 98° 3.123′ W. Marker is in Bertram, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on FM-243, on the right when traveling east. About 1/3 mile NE from TX-29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bertram Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); The City of Bertram (approx. ¼ mile away); J.V. "Pinky" Wilson (approx. ¼ mile away); Bertram (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Village of South Gabriel (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Bryson Place (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Prairie Point Community (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
 
Bertram School and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, May 23, 2020
2. Bertram School and Marker
Bertram School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 2, 2007
3. Bertram School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on May 24, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   3. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27427

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024