Briggs in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Briggs State Bank
The Briggs State Bank was chartered on May 27, 1909. Constructed that spring, this limestone and brick building is typical of a commercial architecture style once popular in Texas. It features a three-bay front with central entry and transoms, and decorative brickwork detailing. The bank and town flourished for fifteen more years, with an economy centered on cotton and wool production. In the mid-1920s, changing agricultural practices weakened the local economy. After a massive fire destroyed much of the town, including most of the businesses on this street, the bank closed in 1928, a year before the Great Depression.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13181.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1851.
Location. 30° 53.279′ N, 97° 55.463′ W. Marker is in Briggs, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on State Spur 308, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 176 State Spur 308, Briggs TX 78608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At The Community of Briggs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); DeWolfe-Dillingham Community Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mount Horeb Lodge (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mahomet Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Gillum Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Briggs.
Also see . . . Briggs, TX. Texas State Historical Association Handbook of Texas entry (Submitted on February 17, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,048 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on May 13, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 4. submitted on December 15, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on May 13, 2017, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.