Marble Falls in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Juliet Johnson, daughter of the founder of Marble Falls, married George Christian in 1887. He was one of ten owners of the Texas Mining & Improvement Company that developed the town. The first town lots were sold in 1887, and in 1892 this house was built for the Christians. Ivo B. and Mina Matern bought the house in 1908 and owned it for 51 years. Ivo Matern, a merchant and rancher, also served as mayor of Marble Falls in 1937. A fine late Victorian-era house, it exhibits Queen Anne style influences including decorative woodwork and protruding bay windows.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9706.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 30° 34.454′ N, 98° 16.307′ W. Marker is in Marble Falls, Texas, in Burnet County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 603 7th St, Marble Falls TX 78654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Otto Ebeling House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hoag-Faubion-Fuchs House (about Marble Falls Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor O. M. Roberts' House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Roper Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jim Lovell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michel's Drug Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marble Falls Factory Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marble Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 13, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.