Near Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Dobyville Cemetery is the last visible remnant of the community of Dobyville. Settled in the 1850s, and named for the town’s location on a white adobe rock hill. The cemetery contains more than 230 marked graves, between 60 and 70 graves are unmarked and believed to be infants. The earliest documented grave was for Mary E. Standefer (1833-1857), daughter of Hugh and Ana Lawhon. Many of the area’s early pioneers are buried here, along with former elected officials of local and state government, and veterans of several wars. The cemetery continues to serve the area.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13343.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 55.834′ N, 98° 14.359′ W. Marker is near Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker can be reached from CR-103, 0.1 miles U.S. 281. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wolf (here, next to this marker); Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Naruna Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Naruna Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bethel Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hostess House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Hancock Springs (approx. 9.2 miles away); Hancock Springs Bathhouse (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,791 times since then and 364 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.