Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Galloway House

 
 
The Galloway House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 23, 2007
1. The Galloway House Marker
Inscription.  

The original part of this house was built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H. Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure. Significant changes were also made by W. C. Galloway (1856-1936), who became the owner in 1899. A prominent businessman and an organizer of the First State Bank of Burnet, he served as county tax collector and mayor of the city.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9715.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 30° 45.351′ N, 98° 13.564′ W. Marker is in Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is at the intersection of S Pierce St and E League St, on the right when traveling south on S Pierce St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Commercial Building in Burnet (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Badger Building (about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
400 feet away); General Adam R. Johnson (about 400 feet away); The Burnet Bulletin (about 400 feet away); Burnet County (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Burnet County (about 500 feet away); Burnet County Jail (about 700 feet away); Rocky Rest (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
 
Regarding The Galloway House. Building is now occupied as the Verandas Guest House.
 
The Galloway House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson, December 23, 2007
2. The Galloway House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,163 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27492

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024