Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blue Island in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The William Schreiber House

12857 Maple Avenue

— (Built 1950) —

 
 
The William Schreiber House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Sean P. Flynn, May 31, 2025
1. The William Schreiber House Marker
Inscription. William Schreiber's great-grandparents came to Blue Island in the 1840's and founded a tin shop on Western Avenue that was the forerunner of the hardware business that served Blue Island for over a century. Schreiber, who served on the board of trustees of the Blue Island Public Library, commissioned his uncle, Robert Seyfarth, to design a house for himself and his mother, Eunice. Because of Mrs. Schreiber's difficulty negotiating stairs, the house was built on one floor and only inches from ground level. This house was Robert Seyfarth's last commission and was completed after his death.
This historic marker was funded partially by the U.S. Department of the Interior and the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1950.
 
Location. 41° 39.542′ N, 87° 41.092′ W. Marker is on Blue Island, Illinois, in Cook County. It is at the intersection of Maple Avenue and Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Maple Avenue.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
The marker is at the northeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12857 Maple Avenue, Blue Island IL 60406, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Greater Chicago and in the Calumet Region. It is also in the American Midwest. Globally, it is in North America, on the Great Lakes, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Viceroyalty of New France, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Albert & Alice Roche House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Robert Seyfarth House (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert and Emma Schmidt House (within shouting distance of this marker); The William Seyfarth House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Buenger/Nelson House (about 400 feet away); Paul T. & Caryl Klenk House (about 500 feet away); Conrad & Matilda Kich House (about 700 feet away); The Alden J.
The William Schreiber House image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Sean P. Flynn, May 31, 2025
2. The William Schreiber House
Klein House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blue Island.
 
Regarding The William Schreiber House. This was Seyfarth's final commission. Ironically, his very first home, built for himself and his new bride, was constructed on this same 12800 block of Maple in 1904.
 
Also see . . .
1. Robert Seyfarth bio. Robert Seyfarth was born in Blue Island in 1878, and he built a home on this 12800 block of Maple in 1904, across the street from this home. In 1910, he moved to Highland Park in Chicago's northern suburbs, and became a prominent home designer in that area. According to a list on this website, Seyfarth is credited with designing about 15 different homes in Blue Island. (Submitted on June 9, 2025, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.) 

2. William Schreiber obituary. William Schreiber died in 2006 at age 88. He served in World War II in France and Germany, participating in the Battle of the Bulge, and later opened a laundromat in Blue Island. Later in life he moved to Marion, Illinois, about 300 miles south of Blue Island. He is buried in Mt. Greenwood Cemetery on Chicago's
Paid Advertisement
south side.
Excerpt: "Schreiber was widely recognized as the lamp collector who lived in an executive railroad car in Marion for more than 30 years. The car was built in 1912 as a traveling office for executives of the New Orleans and Northeastern Railroad."
(Submitted on June 9, 2025, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2025. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2025, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2025, by Sean P. Flynn of Oak Park, Illinois.
m=274978

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 28, 2026