Zanesville in Muskingum County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Capital of Ohio
In 1809 the citizens of Zanesville erected a building on this site which served as the capitol of Ohio from October 1, 1810, until May 1, 1812. The 9th and 10th sessions of the Ohio General Assembly met here before returning to Chillicothe in May 1812. The building was then used as the Muskingum County Courthouse until the present courthouse was built in 1874. The 1809 date stone from the old building was incorporated into the new building and may be seen over the front steps.
In 1809 both Zanesville and Putnam (then a separate town across the Muskingum River) vied to become the capital city of Ohio. Zanesville erected a new county courthouse and Putnam erected a new school building—both towns hoping that the state legislature would find their building suitable for the state house. When the legislature settled on Zanesville the Putnam
Erected 1991 by Pioneer and Historical Society of Muskingum County, the Muskingum County Commissioners, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-60.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 1, 1825.
Location. 39° 56.423′ N, 82° 0.418′ W. Marker is in Zanesville, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 40) east of 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is to the right of the courthouse steps. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zanesville (a few steps from this marker); World War II/Korean War Memorial (within Three Muskingum County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodge of Amity No. 5 Free and Accepted Masons (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Architect Cass Gilbert (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Also see . . . The Official Ohio Lands Book. Indexed PDF of the book by Dr. George W. Knepper. Pictures of Ohio's first and second statehouses are on page 16. (Submitted on April 19, 2006.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,915 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.